Thursday, August 21, 2008

Invention

I'd like a longer stethoscope please. The tube bit on mine is about 40 or 50 centimeters, which is fine for most purposes. But because I am slightly taller than average, I sometimes have to stoop a bit, especially when listening to (or "auscultating", if you're a medical person, because God knows we wouldn't like the rest of the world to understand anything that important) a particularly flat patient. But worse still, when doing a respiratory examination, the patient has to breathe in and out deeply while we listen to their lungs, which typically involves getting mouth-breathed-on quite vigorously. This doesn't really appeal to me that much.

It's not that I don't like people. I do. In fact, some of my best friends are people. It's just that mouth-breaths are so moist and warm and often carry strange food-like odors. I get enough of that kind of thing at home from my cat.

Apparently the stethoscope was originally invented by a guy who didn't like pressing his ear against the chests of his patients with tuberculosis. Bravo! I'd like to stake a claim to the invention of the bihomostethoscope, which requires two men to operate. It's basically a really long stethoscope. One person presses the listening end to the patient's chest and gets breathed on, and the other (more senior) person stands 5 or 6 feet away listening to the lung sounds.

You heard it here first!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

No a bad start, but dare to dream!

What about a wireless stetho-node? You don't even have to leave home. You have an assistant who deals with the pesky mouth-breathing patient (presumably the assistant is wearing scuba breathing gear under a welder's mask for protection) and all the sounds are wirelessly transported in magnificent Dolby 7.2 surround sound to the headphone of your IPod (TM).

That leaves you free to amend the patient's records, via Blackberry (TM) from whatever your salubrious locale happens to be. If you feel like being communicative, you can cc a copy to the patient.

Sweet!

PTR said...

Wow - you totally blinged up the bihomostethoscope! I'm very impressed.