Sunday, November 16, 2008

Japanese manhole covers

Ever been to Japan? The manhole covers are fascinating. Everywhere you go, the designs on them are different. Some are geometrical, some have cartoon characters on them, some have elegant floral designs. When my Smaller Half and I were in Japan on our honeymoon, we walked around looking at the ground all time, afraid we'd miss a manhole cover.

Anyway, for some time I've had a small collection of pictures of them in an album on facebook. My Award-Winning Illustrious Tutor was looking at them and sent a message to me and an Observant Friend of his, letting us know that we were both devotees of Japanese manhole covers.

And his Observant Friend noticed that we both have pictures of the same manhole cover. Not the same design. The same cover. If you look at the paving around the manhole covers in the two pictures below you can see that it is the same in both of them.

My picture:


Her picture:


Isn't that a bizarre coincidence?

2 comments: