Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tribute

Goodbye my friend. You were one among many, all so close to me, so how could I pick favourites? Yet now your absence commands my attention and I am left with nothing but memories of our time together.

We were a perfect fit for each other. I turned to you for warmth and support so many times, over so many years, that I started to think you would always be there for me. It was not to be - how could it? The bonds that held you to me were destined to stretch, fated to break.

I'd noticed recently that you'd been looking worn, threadbare. You didn't seem your old self. I thought that maybe it was me, maybe I'd changed. But I came to realize that it was you.

When the time came, I didn't shirk my duty. I made sure you were clean and dry and folded with dignity, and I took you to the garbage bin. Old purple undies, you served me well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

Well done - now we can't accuse you of being anal retentive!

Who throws out clean undies? Nay, nay, nay lad - yee needs to give them a proper sending off - wears them 2-3 times AT LEAST before the long good bye.

And folded? Don't even get me started. Who folds undies (sorry, who in their right mind folds undies?) .

Actually, that might be a good survey topic. (a) Do you fold undies (b) If so, how long have you been in care?

PTR said...

Perhaps I should have given them a Viking funeral and sent them off in a flaming longboat.

Anyway, if you don't fold your undies, how do you stack them up so that they don't impinge on your stacks of ironed socks?