Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Brachiating

Sometimes I hate studying. Sometimes it all just builds up and I start to fantasize about when I used to work in the public service and got paid to sit on my backside and eat cake.

Fortunately, today is not one of those days. Today I am elated because I've been learning all sorts of crazy trivia stuff. Most particularly, I learned today that the plural form of biceps is bicipites (pronounced bi-sip-it-teez). This is awesome! For the rest of my life I'm going to able to annoy the hell out of people by correcting their incorrect usage of biceps as a plural noun.

For example, if someone were to say to me, "Did you see Gary Hall Jr. on telly? He said he was going to smash the Australian relay team like guitars, and then he kissed his biceps!" - I would be able to say, "Yes I did see that, and I think you'll find that he kissed both his bicipites, not just one!" - and the person would say, "Piss off you idiot" - and I would laugh and strut and ask if they wanted to play Scrabble against me and laugh again when they fearfully declined.

In fact, if I was going to be really annoying I'd ask them to clarify if they were talking about Gary Hall Jr's bicipites brachii or his bicipites femoris. Seeing him kiss the latter would be quite a sight. (There's another "don't know your arse from your elbow" joke lurking in there somewhere - can anybody come up with a setup?)

The one drawback, of course, is that the people who like to talk most about arm muscles are people whose arm muscles are somewhat larger than mine and would probably make me eat those Scrabble tiles one by one. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to rate this blog and really needed a box to tick that said "Alarming".

I'm alarmed - not engaged, enraged, or absurd.

PTR said...

Are you sure you're not simply "alert"?