Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ink for the Ink God!

I think I might have become hypoxic in my car en route to my exam this morning. I felt normal, but three different people all said to me, "You look too happy". Fair enough too, who wants to be faced with a hairy grinning idiot just before you go into your exam? At least no-one beat me up. Yet.

While waiting in the corridor to go in I noticed that one of my Esteemed Classmates was carrying a pair of shorts. I asked him if he was really expecting the exam to be that scary. He put them over his head and said, "I'm going to plead insanity". It really made me laugh and was a good way to detensionify before the exam.

The exam itself was a whirlwind of ink and paper. I wrote non-stop for the whole 90 minutes which is very rare for me. Usually I finish early and take off but this was a seriously intense exam. Ten questions, so that's nine minutes for each question. I think the whole thing would have been much easier if we'd had ten minutes for each question. Not just because we'd have had 11.1% more time, but because I found it confusing trying to add up all those nines in my head to try and figure out if I was going to be able to finish the exam or not. Even using the power of multiplication didn't help that much because then I had to use subtraction and division to work out how much time I had left per question. Honestly - just make the time per question a nice round number and save me some grief.

Now all I have left is the prac exam tomorrow, which will consist of identifying various parts of the human anatomy from real live, err dead, specimens. Here's a tip for my Esteemed Colleagues: the knee has the patella nearby. The elbow doesn't. Buy me a drink if it comes up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long would it take you to write each blog? As a humble, but regular reader, I'd be keen to see an estimate of how long each posting took.

(For the record - this comment was 3 minutes)

:-)

PTR said...

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I certainly don't dawdle - they pretty much come hammering out of my fingers. I usually have to have one or tries at each paragraph and usually I shift the sentences around a bit to get the thoughts into a sensible order, then a final proofread. Maybe fifteen minutes? Maybe half an hour for a longer one? Some of the really long ones probably are 45 mins or so.