Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peace

So Barack Obama won the Nobel Prize in the category of Peace.  That's pretty strange.  Much as I admire his achievements and find him personally likeable too, what has he actually done to deserve it?  Simply being 300% smarter than the previous guy in his job doesn't really cut the mustard as far as I'm concerned.  Effectively, he's been given the Nobel simply for doing his job competently.

Have we forgotten that he's the Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful military force ever to exist on this planet?  Maybe if he sent them all home to retrain as masseurs I think a Peace gong would be in order.  But "business as usual" isn't really the kind of citation that most of us were expecting of a Nobel laureate.

So who should have won?  According to one of my (as usual) anonymous commenters, me.  (Link.)

Sushi Golf - healing the world since 2009.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh - I always thought you may have been Alexander Downer!

See http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/12/2711565.htm

PTR said...

Ah, but see also
http://pronetoreverie.blogspot.com/2008/04/freaky-alexanders-bum-yep.html
for evidence to the contrary! Okay, so it was an actor. But do you think that if I was actually Alexander Downer I would really get so excited about the prospect of spanking my own bottom? No wait, forget I asked that.

Anyway, it's telling that Obama was nominated 11 days after being sworn in. That was a big week and a half, huh?

Anonymous said...

"All we are saying, is give Peace a chance"

A week and a half seems like a long enough chance for Peace.

Hell, when we were kids, we'd only get three seconds for peace. Mum would say "I'm going to count to three and then you'd better be quiet..." That seemed to work.