Monday, November 2, 2009

Dispel all doubt

I'm a little bit older than most medical students.  So when I'm standing around on the wards trying to figure out what the heck is going on, every now and then a nurse mistakes me for an actual doctor.  It's perfectly understandable - the only way she (and yes, most nurses are still women) could tell would be to closely examine my ID tag, so she just goes by the age, the stethoscope, and the ... I don't know what else.  Maybe my watch looks expensive or something. (It's not.)

Anyway, typically we have a little exchange like this:

Nurse
Doctor, may I quickly check something in the notes you're reading?

PTR
Oh, of course, I'm just a medical student.

But perhaps the nurse thinks I'm making some kind of self-deprecating joke, because when she hands the notes back to me she says,

Nurse
Thank you very much Doctor.

I really really hate this.  It is incredibly awkward because then I have to say, "No really, I am a medical student", and perhaps even specifically say, "I'm not a doctor".  But that's okay, I myself am crap at names and frequently call people by the wrong name so I can cope with having to correct people.

What I hate more is the sneaking feeling that if the nurses think I am a doctor, they may well start doing some hare-brained thing right in front of me and expect me to intercede if they shouldn't do it.  Seems ridiculous, I know - when did a nurse ever pay attention to a doctor?  But I just can't get the idea of out my head that something bad might happen to a patient just because someone else thinks I know a lot more than I do.

The way I deal with this situation is twofold. First, as noted, I make sure that anyone who is explicitly confused as to my status is promptly corrected.  Second, I make sure that anyone who may be implicitly confused as to my status is immediately set straight, which I achieve by asking every person I meet a stupid question.  It's working out pretty well so far.  Everyone on my ward thinks I'm an idiot.

In case you too are plagued by these fears, here are some examples of good questions to ask:
  • How does this bed work?
  • Can you help me? I'm tangled in this curtain!
  • Where in the patient does that tube go?
  • Where's the handwash?
  • Are you a nurse?
  • Is it always this busy?

7 comments:

JdR said...

Why don't you wear a sign?

This both provides information to people, and demonstrates that you're a little bit Wiggum.

PTR said...

That's an interesting idea but I don't think it'll work because I want to fool the patients so they'll cooperate.

JdR said...

make the sign a neon one that you can turn and off as required.

simple, really. and funky too.

PTR said...

Since you're all over this, could you suggest some precise wording?

JdR said...

You could get one of those blinking "Open" ones pretty cheap.

Simple, and to the point.

Might also spice things up in the bedroom, if the smaller half is so inclined.

PTR said...

Ooh, or I could get one from a donut shop: "Now cooking"

JdR said...

You'd flip that sign on just before you fart, of course.

But an Open sign - well, you could wear it all the time, not just on the wards.