Monday, January 18, 2010

Empathy

I am going to be an awesome doctor because my empathy and patient-relations skills are top notch*.  Today, on my very first day in my new practice, I had the following exchange with a cantankerous patient:
PTR
Did you see Doctor MacGroodle?

Patient
No!  I can't stand her.  The last time I saw her I wanted to punch her!

PTR
You can't punch the doctors - they aren't allowed to punch you back.  They'll get in terrible trouble if they do.

The patient scowled at me but the nurse laughed.  I think if you make the nurse laugh it means you've crossed the line.

* Sarcasm.  In case you hadn't figured it out, genius.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are medical students allowed to punch back?

PTR said...

Interesting but irrelevant - medical students are such loveable rogues that nobody ever punches us.