Monday, April 25, 2011

Comrades, fill no glass for me


Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
Yet, though I long to quell the strife
That passion holds against my life,
Still, boon companions may ye be,
But comrades, fill no glass for me.

I know a breath that once was light
Whose patient sufferings need my care
I know a hearth that once was bright,
But drooping hopes have nestled there.
Then while the tear drops nightly steal
From wounded hearts that I should heal
Though boon companions may ye be,
But comrades, fill no glass for me.

When I was young I felt the tide
Of aspirations undefiled,
But manhood's years have wronged the pride
My parents centered in their child.
Then, by a mother's sacred tear,
By all that memory should revere,
Though boon companions may ye be,
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me.

- Stephen Foster

No comments: